Rhinoplasty, or cosmetic nose surgery, is one of the leading cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. Today, it is more popular than ever. New and innovative techniques can reduce recovery time and increase the chances of patient satisfaction. Computer imaging, for example, can approximate what a patient will look like with outstanding precision. These advancements have encouraged people to pursue nose surgery with greater confidence.
The Summer Rhinoplasty. Often a convenient time for vacations, summer is a favorite season to undergo and recover from a rhinoplasty. But, a summer surgery also highlights the need to take extra care when healing. Here are few tips to facilitate rhinoplasty recovery during the summer months:
- Protect your skin from the sun. After a nose surgery, the skin is more sensitive to the effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Inflammation during healing can make your skin more reactive to the sun, and a sun burn may be more likely to cause hyperpigmentation when healing soon after a rhinoplasty. Your best bet? Avoid prolonged sun exposure. You’ll be fine with casual day-to-day activities but, if you’re planning a day at the beach in the first 6 weeks after surgery, make sure you wear a hat and re-apply a good sunblock to your nose.
- Do not wear sunglasses. Protecting the eyes from summer glare is important. However, as you heal from your nose surgery, you should find other ways to shade your eyes from the sun. Sunglasses are an added weight that your nose does not need during recovery. We recommend avoiding heavy-framed eye glasses for a month after surgery.
- Do not swim. A summer dip is very refreshing, but you should avoid submerging your head underwater in a pool or the ocean for about a month after your surgery. Chlorine and salt water can irritate the nasal passages and make you more prone to infection.
- Avoid certain sports. Team sports like beach volleyball are a great way to be social and stay fit, but they also carry a high risk of nose injury. During your rhinoplasty recovery, bench the team sports and minimize the chance of a collision with a ball or elbow.
- Drink plenty of water. When you are recovering from surgery, it is vital that you give your body a healing edge–especially in the heat of summer. Water intake is critical for the body’s overall health, so be sure to stay well hydrated.
- Rest. Taking some time off to recuperate after a nose surgery will support the healing process. Fortunately, summer can be an excellent time to catch up on your R&R–so go ahead and schedule that stay-cation.
Your Summer Rhinoplasty at Profiles Beverly Hills
Both Dr. Peyman Solieman and Dr. Jason Litner of Profiles Beverly Hills are renowned double board certified facial plastic surgeons and rhinoplasty specialists. As a team, they lead their practice with distinction, committed to providing comprehensive care and achieving natural-looking results. If you are interested in a rhinoplasty and would like to know more about a summer procedure, contact our West Los Angeles office for a consultation. Drs. Litner and Solieman can advise you on your summer surgery and recovery.